Docker cannot install iputils

docker

I use CircleCI 1.0, and ubuntu-14.04. I want to build a Docker image using a Dockerfile that contains:

FROM amazonlinux:latest
RUN yum -y install openssh-clients

The reason is that I need the ssh-keyscan binary. However, the installation fails with:

Failed:
iputils.x86_64 0:20121221-7.13.amzn1                                          

I’ve heard that this might happen on older Linux versions, perhaps not supporting aufs fully, and perhaps using Docker engine versions that are not stable.

Any ideas?

git also requires iputils (via openssh probably), so this also fails:

RUN yum -y install git

The smallest Dockerfile that fails is:

RUN yum -y install iputils

The error is:

Installing : iputils-20121221-7.13.amzn1.x86_64                         35/36
Error unpacking rpm package iputils-20121221-7.13.amzn1.x86_64

This works, though:

FROM centos:latest
RUN yum -y install iputils

Hi Ulsaa, did you find a resolution for this issue? I face the same issue.
if I build the dockerfile locally, all is well. If I build via circleci then the package fails to install.

Thanks!
~G

No, I don’t have a solution. However, if instead moving to CircleCI 2.0, it should be possible to build a custom Docker image instead of using the Ubuntu build server, thus avoiding the problem.

no worries. thanks for the response!

Very frustrating - would like to avoid setting up an enterprise docker hub account and fussing with custom docker images. Does anybody know why specifically it’s failing and if there is a workaround?

This builds fine for me locally and in the machine executor.

I’ve tried this and get errors as well… using CircleCI v2.0, could you show your config.yml file at all?

@cellis: I wonder if the examples failed above because the authors did not do a repo update first. I don’t use Yum, but with Apt I always do a apt update prior to trying to install things.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.