steps:
      - checkout
      - run: echo "Running tests"

workflows:
  version: 2
  build:
    jobs:
      - run_tests

This seems to work if I push a commit to github, but if I use the circleci api it fails. I have a feeling this may be a bug in the API, because it triggers the same commit to be built, and comes up with the following error:

Build-agent version 1.0.39420-c361fae8 (2020-09-09T11:04:48+0000)

Configuration errors: 1 error occurred:

* Cannot find a job named `build` to run in the `jobs:` section of your configuration file.
If you expected a workflow to run, check your config contains a top-level key called 'workflows:'

Before asked I have already attempted to raise this with CircleCI directly but I have not received a response.

Hi @abepetrillo! When you says contacted CircleCI directly, does this mean you filed a support ticket? I’m asking so I can check on the status for you.

Apologies for not updating.

CircleCI did finally get back to me. There were a few issues. Firstly you can’t use v1 of the API with v2 of the config/circle.yml. Second we had some parsing issues with the variables.

I think as part of the support ticket they are updating the docs. The resulting code that used the API looks like this:

curl -vs -X POST https://circleci.com/api/v2/project/github/${ORGANIZATION}/${PROJECT}/pipeline -H 'Content-Type: application/json' -H 'Accept: application/json' -H 'Circle-Token: '"${CIRCLE_TOKEN}"''

Yes we are using a total of four quotes around the CIRCLE_TOKEN. This is because of the way bash translates the string.

1 Like