CircleCi is running on all my branches

Hi,

CircleCi is running on all my pull requests/merge requests that I get into our Bitbucket system. I have specified in my workflow to only run on specific branches but for some reason It’s running on all the other branches and they all fail because of course they don’t have a config.yml.

I have a workflow section for every branch, below is the development branch.

My config looks like this:

- build:
      filters:
        branches:
          only:
            - development

So basically my issue is, that every-time someone from my team makes a pull request, CircleCI starts to run it, I only want to run it when it gets/merges into the development branch.

Right now every merge that I get, doesn’t seem to have the .circleci file. Therefore I’m having lots of failed builds. Also some builds seem to be paused a very big list, I’m not sure why, is it because they are not approved on Bitbucket? If I click approve on CircleCi they get merged this seems to be weird.

Do you have a valid 2.0 config file in all branches? It’s possible that for the next 15 days or so, until 1.0 ceases you’ll get 1.0 builds occurring for all those other branches. When I first started using CircleCI I pushed a branch that had a 2.0 config file after following the project repo, then after that all other branches started to build on commits being pushed. I contacted support and was advised that this would occur as the other branches will run as a 1.0 build if it can’t find a 2.0 config. So, your issue maybe related to that, also possibly check out the ‘Advanced Settings’ under Build Settings after clicking the cog/gear next to your project name. From there make sure the items around building on pull requests is set as per your requirements.

Also, if you can drop in your full config, it will help.

Also, based on what you’ve said here, I’d also be wanting to confirm the filtering in all the workflow sections you’ve defined for each branch. As branch filtering can be applied in a few different places as well as workflows, it’ll be easier to confirm if that’s a possible cause of the issue with a complete picture of the config if you can provide it.

I’m seeing the same problem. CircleCI kicks off a build on the master branch even though it’s not listed in the only: list of the filter. The config.yml file is copied to all branches. It’s critical for our build setup to be able to do this, so any insight would be appreciated.

Here’s my config.yml file:

version: 2
jobs:
  build:
    working_directory: ~/code
    docker:
      - image: circleci/android:api-25-alpha
    filters:
      branches:
        only:
          - tag_test
          - develop
    environment:
      JVM_OPTS: -Xmx3200m
    steps:
      - checkout
      - restore_cache:
          key: jars-{{ checksum "build.gradle" }}-{{ checksum  "app/build.gradle" }}
#      - run:
#         name: Chmod permissions #if permission for Gradlew Dependencies fail, use this.
#         command: sudo chmod +x ./gradlew
      - run:
          name: Download Dependencies
          command: ./gradlew androidDependencies
      - save_cache:
          paths:
            - ~/.gradle
          key: jars-{{ checksum "build.gradle" }}-{{ checksum  "app/build.gradle" }}
      - run:
          name: Run Tests
          command: ./gradlew lint test
      - store_artifacts:
          path: app/build/reports
          destination: reports
      - store_test_results:
          path: app/build/test-results
      # See https://circleci.com/docs/2.0/deployment-integrations/ for deploy examples

workflows:
  version: 2
  wfBuild:
    jobs:
      - build
#        filters:
#          branches:
#            only:
#              - tag_test
#          tags:
# tag format: Major.minor.<yyear><weekofyear>.version
#            only: /^\d+\.\d+\.\d+\.\d+/

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.