- checkout
      - run: echo "Running from .circleci/config.yml"
      - run: echo $CC_TEST_REPORTER_ID
      - run: ruby -v
      - run: gem install bundler -v 1.15.4
      - run: bundler -v
      - restore_cache:
          key: rails-{{ arch }}-{{ checksum "Gemfile.lock" }}
      - run: bundle check --path=vendor/bundle || bundle install --path=vendor/bundle --jobs=4 --retry=3
      - save_cache:
          key: rails-{{ arch }}-{{ checksum "Gemfile.lock" }}
          paths:
            - vendor/bundle
      - run: curl -L https://codeclimate.com/downloads/test-reporter/test-reporter-latest-linux-amd64 > ./cc-test-reporter
      - run: chmod +x ./cc-test-reporter
      - run: ./cc-test-reporter before-build
      - run: bundle exec rspec spec
      - run: ./cc-test-reporter after-build --exit-code $?

On the restore_cache step, it outputs:

No cache is found for key: rails-arch1-linux-amd64-6_62-2tqvY1YipbCiRdMsHC6hH0dE7Yy2rojGa7EQdF1a3QE=

On the save_cache step, it outputs:

Skipping cache generation, cache already exists for key: rails-arch1-linux-amd64-6_62-fpNAncficdF8R+0WmisGwNoy8Sv7EcxE_xkzAEZUo0o=
Found one created at 2017-10-12 15:23:50 +0000 UTC

The {{ checksum "Gemfile.lock" }} is different before and after running the command bundle check --path=vendor/bundle || bundle install --path=vendor/bundle --jobs=4 --retry=3.

When run on my local machine, all it does is create a vendor/bundle directory, but does not alter the Gemfile. Is there something I can do to ensure that the Gemfile.lock checksum does not change?

I have the same issue but with Yarn, checksum gives me different checksums, this file never changes but gives me a different string:

version: 2  
jobs:                                                                              
  build:                                                                           
    working_directory: ~/app                                        
    docker:                                                                        
      - image: circleci/node:8.4                                                   
    steps:                                                                         
      - checkout                                                                   
      - restore_cache:                                                             
          key: dependency-cache-{{ checksum "yarn.lock" }}                         
      - run: npm install yarn                                                      
      - run: yarn install                                                                                                                                                    
      - save_cache:                                                                
          key: dependency-cache-{{ checksum "yarn.lock" }}                         
          paths:                                                                   
            - ~/app/node_modules                                    
            - ~/.cache           

I haven’t resolved this issue yet. Worked through it with a few different folks with no luck.

Same issue here. I cannot figure out why. I’ve already send support ticket and am waiting for response.

Again, same issue here, but with package-lock.json

We have the same issue with npm and package.json

Same problem with package.json

Usually this is caused by a change made to Gemfile where Gemfile.lock wasn’t also committed. Make sure you run bundle and commit Gemfile.lock.

Also, there may be a different version of bundler on CircleCI as opposed to your development environment. You can install a specific version of Bundler on CircleCI if needed, but it’s probably best to update your development environment’s Bundler to the latest release. gem install bundler

I ran into this with npm install. TLDR: I didn’t have a new line at the end of my package.json.

I debugged this by rerunning a build with ssh and I ran a git status and noticed the package.json file did indeed have changes. Apparently, npm install will add a newline at the end of the file if there isn’t one.

For me, I had to add "files.insertFinalNewline": true to my vscode settings (because it was removing the newline :frowning:) and commit the file with a newline at the end.

I solved my problem by using
npm i --no-save
The issue was caused by npm installing extra optional dependencies differently on different environments (fsevents from mac) that were committed in the npm–shrinkwrap.json.

Exactly the same problem here. After doing:
cksum Gemfile.lock
bundle update fastlane
bundle check --path ../.bundle || bundle install --path ../.bundle
cksum Gemfile.lock

Before bundle install:
2779665191 3911 Gemfile.lock

After:
710379616 3911 Gemfile.lock

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. We’ve added a Support Center article to help: https://support.circleci.com/hc/en-us/articles/360004632473-No-Cache-Found-and-Skipping-Cache-Generation

It does appear to be an issue with yarn overwriting the lock file. Make sure that if you are using --frozen-lockfile that your yarn version actually supports that.

I have same problem in my project. Unfortunately Circle CI uses different bundler version, which resulted to modifying the Gemfile.lock and checksum failed.

I solved this by using “Gemfile” instead of “Gemfile.lock” and seems working.

- restore_cache:
        keys:
        - wc-gems-v4-{{ .Branch }}-{{ checksum "Gemfile" }}
    - run:
        name: Bundle
        command: |
            export PATH="/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/ImageMagick-6.8.9/bin-Q16:$PATH"
            bundle check --path=vendor/bundle || bundle install --path=vendor/bundle --jobs=4 --retry=3
            #command: bundle check --path=vendor/bundle || bundle install --path=vendor/bundle --jobs=4 --retry=3
    # Save dependency cache
    - save_cache:
        key: wc-gems-v4-{{ .Branch }}-{{ checksum "Gemfile" }}
        paths:
        - vendor/bundle

Seems to be working now.