Build 'not run' - but why?

The documentation is very generic, with few examples, and a step behind the functionality actually available.

Getting a build to trigger or do certain actions on specific branches or tags seems to be very difficult, and harder to test.

When a commit or tag on a branch is pushed to GIT, it quickly appears in CircleCI - in my case marked as ‘not run’. But it is unclear as to why. There is no further information, the build details page is simply empty.

For example, why does pushing a tagged commit ‘v1.0.0’ get labeled as not run when the circle.yml file starts with the following:

general:
  branches:
    only:
      - staging
      - /v[0-9]+(\.[0-9]+)*/
deployment:
  release:
    tag: /v[0-9]+(\.[0-9]+)*/
    commands:
      - do something

According to the docs, because the tag matches a deployment command, it should run.

1 Like

I had this issue as well, with a similar configuration of branches and tags.

Got it to work using this general config, using ignore branches instead of only to achieve. To me it seems like the branches option affects tags as well, but one is not able to configure how.

general:
  branches:
    ignore:
      - master
      - /feature\/.*/

deployment:
  production:
    tag: /[0-9]+(\.[0-9]+)*/
    commands:
      - deploy command

When will this be fixed @CircleCI-Employees ?
Because what @tore suggested is workaround not a solution.

It’s interesting that if I re-run “NOT RUN” build in CircleCI UI then it’s working.

This is affecting us too. It would be nice if we have a proper solution to this issue.

What’s the status on that? @CircleCI-Employees
This blocks us from buying a subscription…

Hello, this is also an issue we have run in to. Is there anyway to use general:branches:only with a tag within deployment?

@jess-lawrence-axomic I posted a possible solution for you on http://stackoverflow.com/a/38561199/1071518 . I use it in my project and it works well.

Thanks mediafreakch, I’ll have a look and see if I can get a multiple negative lookahead expression working. Much appreciated!