Apt-get update failing on Debian 8 (Jessie) based Convenience Images

Hey everyone,

If you use a CircleCI Docker Convenience Image and you’re using a Debian Jessie based image, such as circleci/php:7.1-jessie-browser, apt-get update might be failing for you. You’ll see a 404 error on certain repository URLs.

This is because Debian 8 (Jessie) has been EOL’d by Debian and so they changed the mirrors. Here’s what happens now:

Short-Term Solution

We’re working on getting the images restored to a working state. This should be done soon.

Long-Term Solution

Debian 8 is EOL’d, meaning it’s no longer supported. Use a newer image tag. Depending on what image you are using, dropping the word jessie from your image tag will get you a Debian 9 (Stretch) based image. If that doesn’t work, typically you can replace the word jessie in your tag with stretch.

A summary of our images can be found here and a full list of our Docker images and their tags can be found here.

2 Likes

Updated Jessie images are rolling out. It might take a little bit before hosts pick up the new images if they were cached.

Your best bet moving forward though is definitely to use non-Jessie based images as Debian has EOL’d the release.

Hi, I’m a bit confused.

These are our current executors:

executors:
  default_executor:
    docker:
        - image: circleci/node:8.9.4
        - image: redis:2.8
        - image: circleci/mysql:5.6.35
    resource_class: medium+
  fe_executor:
    docker:
        - image: circleci/node:8.9.4
    resource_class: medium+

Where are we getting our Debian version from?

@FelicianoTech do I need to update my circleci/mysql image?

The base node image for node:8.11.2 was defaulting to Debian jessie. I had to explicitly add -stretch suffix to the tag, for it to not use the jessie image.

Before:

docker:
  - image: circleci/node:8.11.2

After:

docker:
  - image: circleci/node:8.11.2-stretch
1 Like

Shouldn’t need to I don’t believe.

Have the original Jessie images been fixed? Ideally we wouldn’t be using the ‘stretch’ images.

Could you speak more to that? Strech is the latest stable release, jessie is now in LTS mode. Is there a specific reason why you want to stay on jessie?

Well, it’s more similar to what we are using in production. Ideally, yes, we would update all our servers and workers, but in the meantime our CI should probably run on images close to what we’re using in prod.

1 Like

That makes sense, thanks for sharing your perspective!

1 Like

Thanks for listening!

1 Like