Apt-get error, exited with code 100

For this command in the build step:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install -y awscli

Started getting this error earlier today:
E: Could not open file /var/lib/apt/lists/deb.debian.org_debian_dists_buster_main_binary-amd64_Packages.diff_Index - open (2: No such file or directory)
Exited with code 100

This is with the circleci/php:7.2-cli-node-browsers image.

Not sure what’s going on. Anyone encounter anything similar and/or know how to fix?

Docker-php-ext-install error, exited with 123(Directory nonexistent)

I’m also experiencing the same issue. Rebuild with ssh and run the same commands and everything works. Also working fine from local CircleCI command line tool

Definitely looks like an issue with the image, affecting any apt-get update command.

Another project using circleci/node:9.11.1 is building without issue.
Tried circleci/php:7.1-cli-node-browsers, and that also works without issue.

Later last evening I was able to rebuild without cache and it worked for me. I forgot to specify in my previous comment, I too am using the circleci/php:7.2-cli-node-browsers image

I am having the same problem.
Although it is not a fundamental solution,
It was avoidable by running apt-get update || apt-get update (at least in my case)

ref: https://github.com/rocker-org/shiny/pull/23

Having the same issue on a very similar container circleci/php:7.2-node-browsers.

Buster is an experimental distro and you should only use it with that in mind. Things break.

I am having the same exact error using php:7-fpm-stretch. Strangely enough, this error only occurs on CircleCI and not in my local build environment. I’m not sure why it’s pulling from buster at all.