Yarn: Permission denied

yarn

Over the last few weeks a lot of builds fail with the following error:

yarn install
/bin/bash: /usr/local/bin/yarn: Permission denied
Exited with code 1

Restarting the builds mostly helps but this is a big problem for us and needs to be fixed on your backend.

Can you try resetting the permissions yourself? Maybe something like this:

sudo u+x /usr/local/bin/yarn

Try this either in the same install statement (sudo npm install .... && sudo u+x ...) or in a separate run clause.

I’m having the same issue, did you have any progress to solve that?

When I use npm install -g yarnpkg instead of npm i -g yarn it works, not sure if that issue it’s related to the last yarn version.

Regards

What version of Yarn are you using? What base image are you using? Are you using Circle 1.0 or 2.0? Putting all that in your question may be helpful.

Hmm, I don’t use Yarn, but would sudo yarn install make a difference? Maybe it needs root perms to do its own installation stuff.

Same to @schickling.

I have seen the same error using CircleCI 2.0. Seems intermittent. I run
npm i -g yarn
And then
yarn install

Out of 25 containers that are all identical, only 1 will fail. I wasn’t seeing this before trying to update the yarn version on the base circleci image (using circleci/ruby:2.3.4-node-browsers).

Any update on this from the Circle team?

Hey, I know this is not a “proper” solution, but it worked out for me; I changed

run: sudo npm install -g yarn

to

- run:
    name: install
    command: |
      sudo npm install -g yarn
      yarn install

and the error was gone.

Hope this helps you. Would love to hear the proper solution though! :slightly_smiling_face:

@maticzav: you can probably shorten that to run: sudo npm install -g yarn && yarn install, if you want to avoid the multiline format.

I don’t know Yarn, but it looks fine to me.

@halfer thanks for your suggestion! I agree, that should work as it is the same thing just written differently.

I don’t know why but the initial statement, which is the same as the one you proposed, for some reason stucks on permission error that @schickling described. I haven’t tried executing your idea, but I know that the one we used before didn’t work. Switching to the multiline, on the other hand, fixed the problem.

I hope we find a better solution anyways!

I hadn’t realised yarn is preinstalled in the 2.0 node images. Using the preinstalled version (rather than installing a new one with npm) fixed the permissions issues for me.

https://circleci.com/docs/2.0/yarn/

This topic was automatically closed 41 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.