Why is latest python version not supported out of the box?

the latest pre-installed python version is 3.6.2 from july 2017. currently version 3.6.4 is the latest stable released.

notes:

• python 3.6.3: released 2017-10-03
  • python 3.6.4: released 2017-12-19

is there a reason why you don’t make stable version available sooner?

I am using

machine:
  pre:
    - cd /opt/circleci/.pyenv; git pull
  python:
    version: 3.6.4

as a workaround but it takes 2min45sec to install… quite a long time to have a stable version available…

thanks

If you need the latest versions of languages and other tools you should switch to CircleCI 2.0

1.0 should be considered legacy and it will not be updated that often anymore.

are you sure about this? my understanding is that the python version depends on the linux image. and that should not change with CircleCI 2.0…

note: why did you set my request to resolved? does not seem right to me either…

In 1.0 we made a container image that every single user uses. Whenever a new version of a language comes out we had to manually update that image and release it to folks.

In 2.0 we automatically build images based off the official docker images all of the time. You can also use any public or private docker image that you wish.

So, in the 2.0 world rather than waiting for us to update the image you can just do:

jobs:
  build:
    working_directory: ~/circleci-demo-python-django
    docker:
      - image: circleci/python:3.6.4

As shown here. You can see all the images that are available here.

ok. thank you. great feature! looks like I have to start giving 2.0 a try. so far I avoided it because documentation looked to complicated/incomplete to me. but that’s because I’m missing the skills I guess.

It’s not the most intuitive thing in the world, if you are using python the sample apps are a great place to start.

Of course, if you run into any specific issues let us know on this forum, we are here to help! :slight_smile: