Using Environment Variables inside a conditional

Is there a possible way to use an environment variable inside a conditional like this? (code below doesn’t work)

when:
   condition:
     equal: [ $<< parameters.condition_needed>>, "true" ]

I have found the several same questions that was posted years ago but none gave a working solution such as this
and also a feature request here

Hi @stevensim226 - Welcome to the CircleCI community!

It is indeed possible to use parameters in a conditional statement. The correct syntax for the example you shared would be:

- when:
    condition:
      equal: [ true, << parameters.condition_needed >> ]

But in the case of a boolean parameter I would suggest a much simpler syntax:

- when:
    condition: << parameters.condition_needed >>

You can find out more about conditional steps in our documentation.

Hello @yannCI
The problem is that let’s say <<parameters.condition_needed>> is "CONDITION_ONE"
then I have an environment variable $CONDITION_ONE: true

I have an Environment variable (as said in title) whose name is obtained from a parameter. Not just a parameter alone

Hi @stevensim226,

This can be done using the env_var_name parameter type.

You would need to declare a parameter in your job based on the environment variable:

parameters:
  condition_needed:
    default: CONDITION_ONE
    type: env_var_name

Then you’ll be able to use that parameter inside the when step:

- when:
    condition:
      equal: [ true, "${<< parameters.condition_needed >>}" ]

(Edits: Environment variables always have the type string, so you’ll need to use the above syntax + syntax for env_var_name parameters interpolation)

1 Like

Hi @stevensim226,

I just realized that I referenced another parameter than the env_var_name one in the logic statement of my test run, and therefore wrongly believed the env_var_name parameter could be used in a when step.

Because when statements are evaluated when the configuration is compiled prior to running, and environment variables are determined at runtime, the method I suggested won’t work as is.

However, you can get around this limitation by using pipeline parameters with dynamic config. I would also recommend the “Intro to Dynamic Config via Setup Workflows” Support Solution posted by one of my colleagues.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.