Unexpected environment preparation error: error looking up self container id: Found multiple cgroups for outer container. Ubuntu

Hi, I’m getting the error in the title when I run circleci build locally on Ubuntu 18.04. You are welcome to answer this question here - StackOverflow. also.

The build runs perfectly inside the hosted circleci.

====>> Spin up Environment
Build-agent version 0.0.5359-1e92f70 (2018-05-05T01:50:55+0000)
Error: Unexpected environment preparation error: error looking up self container id: Found multiple cgroups for outer container

Step failed
Task failed
Error: error looking up self container id: Found multiple cgroups for outer container

CircleCI version:

circleci version: 0.0.5358-1e92f70
Build Agent version: 0.0.5359-1e92f70
built: 2018-05-05T01:50:55+0000

Docker-ce version:

Docker version 18.03.1-ce, build 9ee9f40

I installed docker exactly as specified on the docker website, including setting the usergroup settings (so I don’t have to use sudo).

I used the instructions here to install circleci, which is this command: sudo curl -o /usr/local/bin/circleci https://circle-downloads.s3.amazonaws.com/releases/build_agent_wrapper/circleci && sudo chmod +x /usr/local/bin/circleci

If you can please help me I would be truly grateful.

Can you clarify if Ubuntu is a host OS, VM, or container?

Apologies, I could have been more clear. Ubuntu is my main laptop operating system, so the host system. The types of docker containers used inside circleci make no difference it seems. According to this SO answer, it is a known bug, soon to be fixed. Thank you for your time!

This topic was automatically closed 41 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.