Trigger workflow through REST API

api
workflow

Another bump and +1 from me. Really want/need to pull in the artifacts from a couple of previous jobs in a workflow into a downstream one, which can do if we know the upstream build numbers from our downstream job, but while I see reference to upstream workflow job id’s in the API result, there’s no support for retrieving based on that at the moment, nor converting those alphanumeric ID’s to the sequential job id’s currently used. :disappointed:

+1 We just migrated to 2.0 assuming this feature was available. This was something obvious I didn’t think I needed to check before we migrated from 1.0 to 2.0. I really don’t want to migrate back to 1.0. Any idea when this will be available? Are we talking a month or so or many months?

@tom @rohara @KunalJain guys could we get an update on if this is being looked into at all?

Big shame at the moment as it’s twice now we’ve nearly moved over to 2.0 and been hit with a road block where there hasn’t been feature parity with things you’d expect there to be. Sad as 2.0 is a vast improvement apart from these short comings.

API support for Workflows is very high on our agenda right now. Thank you very much for your patience while we work through everything.

Bump. Also note that when ci gets stuck and you manually “rebuild”, there’s no way to re-trigger the workflow.
The “rebuild” only retries the failed workflow, not the other dependency workflows.

@rohara any update on the progress?

@sjack Yes but no resolution yet. It’ll be ready next quarter.

To get around this API limitation we started just making an empty commit to trigger CI workflows

Now that we’re in November, are there any updates to the timeline? @rohara
Please let us know so we can decide if we want to hook up the empty-commit method.

We’re working on it :confused:

This is critical for some of our upcoming workflows as well.

I’d recommend not moving to Workflows yet if it is crucial.

Wow… I’ve been busy getting my individual projects all working with CircleCI. I’ve used 2.0 almost exclusively for a while, as I starting using Circle about the time it was released, and did not have significant investment in 1.0.

I’m at the point where I want to promote my individual builds into a system build… and so stated searching for how to trigger a workflow… and come to find out… what!!! I can’t?

I’m having a hard time getting my mind wrapped around that actually. I read through this entire thread, and it’s quite long, and extends back > 1 year. This does not “seem” that hard… but, hey, what do I know…

Regardless of how difficult it is, it’s a pretty mission critical feature for quite a few folks here… me included.

Just want to up-vote this.

So… any updates?
Is this something that is actively in the queue?
Is this technically possible?
Can we expect this in Q12018?? Q2??

Give us some info please…a warm fuzzy that says we will get it someday… maybe as soon as…

It’s going to happen. We are doing some interesting things that need to shake out first, but this is far from forgotten.

Ah… thanks… I appreciate the feedback. CircleCI is getting better all the time :wink:

Update please?

The update is the same as 7 days ago. It will happen. We ran into roadblocks but we’re going to complete it as soon as we can. It will certainly help us, too.

Would this API kick off a workflow job or would there also be an API for workflow status. I have a custom dashboard that show the status of all our production builds. However, for those that use workflows I can’t get that data as their is no API for it. Hoping the released API will have this GET functionality as well.