Show unused hooks in the commit log

It would be helpful if all hooks (even unused) would be somehow present in the commit log (maybe a gray collapsed bar?). With this addition it would be easier to understand what is executed and when. Also it would be clear what hooks I could use to fix/improve my current build.

Thanks a lot

What kind of hooks are you referring to? Would you like to see the list of webhooks CircleCI will send after the build? Thanks.

All those pre/override/post steps for all sections like checkout, machine, tests etc.

As far as what hooks exists, I think https://circleci.com/docs/configuration may be what you are looking for?

I’ve found it very helpful.

I knew the configuration documentation and my point is not that it’s impossible to figure out how/where to hook into. But in the UI it’s simply not directly visible what action corresponds to which hook/step. I always have to look at the current circle.yml, the documentation and even then the line between the steps is not 100% clear (or is it possible to distinguish, for example, between tests:pre and test:override?).

Makes sense. Sorry for all that complexity—we indeed don’t have a place in the UI that would show all sections of circle.yml available for use, but the following sections are the ones that you would use the most:

• dependencies
    • pre
    • override
  • test
    • pre
    • override

Hope this helps, at least a little!

I think what @michaelcontento was asking for with the UI, at least to help, was for each section in the log to be tagged with what section of the circle.yml it is mapped to, and whether it was overrode.

Something like:

dependencies
--------------------
  node - inferred
  env - overrode
    exporting $foo
    exporting $bar

test
  ----------
   pre - overrode
     uncompressing test data
   override - not overrode
     npm test
  post - overrode
     compressing stuff into artifacts

This way, when trying to see what part of circle.yml was parsed where, it would be easier?

I could be wrong, really hard to explain what I mean in this case, sorry.

Oh, that definitely makes sense. We are working on something that should help us add clarity there—sorry for the current confusion with the configuration. Cheers.