Scope of the free (FLOSS) jobs

I have my personal fork of the Coq (github.com/coq/coq) project enabled in Circle CI, getting 4 jobs (1 free + 3 free OSS). Today we also enabled the main repo in Circle CI. My fork then had all jobs queued while the main fork ran 4 jobs. After about 1h the main fork’s workflow started being done and I literally watched in real time as a job finished in the main fork and a job started in my fork.
Are resources shared between all forks or what?
EDIT: now all the jobs are on my fork with a couple jobs queued on the main repo.

I think you’re right. Sounds like the project gets 3 free OSS slots in total, rather than giving every contributor 3 OSS slots.

I don’t know the project you’re referring to, but does your build/tests take an hour? Is there any scope for reducing that at all?

I don’t know the project you’re referring to, but does your build/tests
take an hour? Is there any scope for reducing that at all?

Not really, we have a poorly specified system so to provide some
backward compatibility we have to test real developments (Coq is an
interpreter for a proof language).

Gaëtan Gilbert

I think you’re right. Sounds like the project gets 3 free OSS slots in total, rather than giving every contributor 3 OSS slots.

You make it sound like forks are part of the project and are actual contributors. But we don’t have control on who creates a fork and how many branches they push to. This means that technically I can DDOS any FLOSS CircleCI project by forking them, changing the CircleCI configuration to make it much slower, and pushing 10 (or more) branches. This sounds like a light security flaw.

And yes, our project (I’m part of the same one as @SkySkimmer) has a CI that is taking way too long, but that’s because of this that we were experimenting with CircleCI (Travis does not support native artifact sharing, which makes us build the base project 10 times - each build taking 10 minutes).

This topic was automatically closed 41 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.