Running Elasticsearch 5

elasticsearch

Hi guys,

we’re switching to ES 5, however the service won’t start in the CircleCI VM, complaining

ERROR: bootstrap checks failed
max virtual memory areas vm.max_map_count [65530] is too low, increase to at least [262144]

Locally the workaround was to

$ sudo sysctl -w vm.max_map_count=262144                                                                                                     [12:56:22]
[sudo] password for dtk: 
vm.max_map_count = 262144

however in the container provided by CircleCI, this is not allowed (potentially a kernel setting shared with the host?):

$ sudo sysctl -w vm.max_map_count=262144
error: permission denied on key 'vm.max_map_count'

Has anybody fixed this issue? Assuming that multiple people are going to run into this issue, do you think there is a chance to get the required setting as standard on all containers?

Thanks a lot
dtk

Are you able to run the Docker image of ElasticSearch, this should work out of the box.

I’m not. That’s actually exactly what we’re trying to do:

database:
  pre:
    - docker run --publish=39200:9200 --detach --volume="$PWD/configs/elasticsearch":/usr/share/elasticsearch/config elasticsearch:5.0.2

In fact the problem is kind of announced in the How to use this image / Host Setup section of that image:

Note: since 5.0, […] Elasticsearch is more strict about the bootstrap checks that it performs, especially when checking the value of vm.max_map_count which is not namespaced and thus must be set to an acceptable value on the host (as opposed to simply using --sysctl on docker run).

Thanks for your help!
dtk

Just to add, we’re having this too. I’m currently trying to figure out a workaround.

We’re also hitting the same problem while using the Docker image of ES because of the CircleCI host setup.

I temporarily fixed the issue by disabling the Bootstrap checks introduced in ES5. On ES5.2.2, you can do so by passing
-Ebootstrap.system_call_filter=false -Etransport.host=localhost
to your docker run command.

We’re using the image with the disabled checks that @levlaz kindly provides.

We are disabling that flag in elasticserch.yml:

bootstrap.system_call_filter: false
transport.host: localhost

Unfortunately non of the above solutions in an option for us.
Is there any chance to add the possibility to set vm.max_map_count somehow with circleci 2.0?

Allow setting of vm.max_map_count (or higher default)

We’ve raised the value of vm.max_map_count on CircleCI 2.0 at this time. Can you try some new builds?

Thanks for working with us on that issue. I just tried a few builds using CircleCI 2.0, but still get the issue that vm.max_map_count is too low:

ERROR: bootstrap checks failed
max virtual memory areas vm.max_map_count [65530] is too low, increase to at least [262144]

Here is an excerpt of the dockerfile I am using:

version: '2'
services:
  # ...
  elasticsearch:
    # need to build elasticsearch, since CircleCI does not allow mounting host files/directories into the container
    build:
      context: ..
      dockerfile: docker/Dockerfile.elasticsearch
    environment:
      - "ES_JAVA_OPTS=-Xms512m -Xmx512m"
    mem_swappiness: 1
    mem_limit: 1g
    volumes:
      - elasticsearch:/usr/share/elasticsearch/data
    ports:
      - 9200:9200
    # ...
  volumes:
    # ...
    elasticsearch:

To which value did you increase vm.max_map_count?

I thought we raised it to 262144
And that’s not a Dockerfile, that’s a docker-compose.yml

I confirm that the following workaround works in my docker-compose.yml:

elasticsearch:
    image: docker.elastic.co/elasticsearch/elasticsearch:5.3.2
    environment:
      - "transport.host=localhost"
      - "bootstrap.system_call_filter=false"
    ports:
      - "9200:9200"

I think the bootstrap.system_call_filter=false might not even be necessary.

We are running the same problem here.

I’ve a docker-compose setup (my base image have a docker installed, that run my docker-compose).

The problem is that querying sysctl for vm.max_map_count, it results the right value:
vm.max_map_count = 262144, but doing the same inside any docker-compose service returns
vm.max_map_count = 65530

I don’t know how to solve this issue.

Disabling bootstrap checks is just a workaround to the issue.