Run "setup-docker-engine" only on certain branches

This is working well for me, thanks for setting it up!

Question: I only need to run the setup-docker-engine step on merge to master when I want to deploy and not when I run my tests on other branches. Right now running setup-docker-engine slows down those builds quite a bit. What would be the recommended approach to only setup Docker on certain branches?

Thanks again!

Nikolai

Getting Started: Docker Engine
Run setup-docker-engine only on certain nodes

Question: I only need to run the setup-docker-engine step on merge to master when I want to deploy and not when I run my tests on other branches. Right now running setup-docker-engine slows down those builds quite a bit. What would be the recommended approach to only setup Docker on certain branches?

I’d also like an answer to this question. We are using executorType: docker with our application’s base image (which contains the exact versions of all required dependencies). As such, we only require the setup-docker-engine step when deploying, since that’s the only time we build/tag/push.

As it stands, it takes 1 second to launch our cached container and start running unit tests then, once the tests are finished, we have to wait over a minute for a remote Docker daemon we won’t even use on the majority of branches.

I moved this to feature requests

@nonken @deizel to answer your questions, this isn’t currently possible. I appreciate that you took the time to write up your use cases and the cost for using setup-docker-engine.

We have a separate team building out workflows, and this will likely fall into that scope of work. I’ve shared your use cases internally, so hopefully that will raise the priority of this level of control.