Rails 5 with 2.0, can't run rspec using multiple containers

rails
paralellism

Hello. We’ve just set up a pretty vanilla Rails 5/postgres Rspec project in Circle.

We experienced this issue where with this run command (This was taken verbatim from the suggested version shown when I created the project): *EDIT: I previously pasted the wrong thing here.

- run:
          name: run tests
          command: |
            mkdir /tmp/test-results
            TEST_FILES="$(circleci tests glob "spec/**/*_spec.rb" | circleci tests split --split-by=timings)"

bundle exec rspec --format progress \
                --format RspecJunitFormatter \
                --out /tmp/test-results/rspec.xml \
                --format progress \
                "${TEST_FILES}"

We see this error:

#!/bin/bash -eo pipefail
mkdir /tmp/test-results
TEST_FILES="$(circleci tests glob "spec/**/*_spec.rb" | circleci tests split --split-by=timings)"

--format progress \
                "${TEST_FILES}"
Requested historical based timing, but they are not present.  Falling back to name based sorting
bundler: failed to load command: rspec (/home/circleci/repo/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/bin/rspec)
NoMethodError: undefined method `captures' for nil:NilClass
  /home/circleci/repo/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/rspec-core-3.6.0/lib/rspec/core/example.rb:124:in `parse_id'
  /home/circleci/repo/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/rspec-core-3.6.0/lib/rspec/core/configuration.rb:2026:in `extract_location'
  /home/circleci/repo/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/rspec-core-3.6.0/lib/rspec/core/configuration.rb:1965:in `block in get_files_to_run'
  /home/circleci/repo/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/rspec-core-3.6.0/lib/rspec/core/flat_map.rb:7:in `each'
  /home/circleci/repo/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/rspec-core-3.6.0/lib/rspec/core/flat_map.rb:7:in `flat_map'
  /home/circleci/repo/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/rspec-core-3.6.0/lib/rspec/core/flat_map.rb:7:in `flat_map'
  /home/circleci/repo/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/rspec-core-3.6.0/lib/rspec/core/configuration.rb:1963:in `get_files_to_run'
  /home/circleci/repo/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/rspec-core-3.6.0/lib/rspec/core/configuration.rb:976:in `files_to_run'
  /home/circleci/repo/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/rspec-core-3.6.0/lib/rspec/core/configuration.rb:1492:in `load_spec_files'
  /home/circleci/repo/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/rspec-core-3.6.0/lib/rspec/core/runner.rb:100:in `setup'
  /home/circleci/repo/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/rspec-core-3.6.0/lib/rspec/core/runner.rb:86:in `run'
  /home/circleci/repo/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/rspec-core-3.6.0/lib/rspec/core/runner.rb:71:in `run'
  /home/circleci/repo/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/rspec-core-3.6.0/lib/rspec/core/runner.rb:45:in `invoke'
  /home/circleci/repo/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/rspec-core-3.6.0/exe/rspec:4:in `<top (required)>'
  /home/circleci/repo/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/bin/rspec:23:in `load'
  /home/circleci/repo/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/bin/rspec:23:in `<top (required)>'
Exited with code 1

If we strip out all the circleci stuff that looks like it’s splitting files for use in the multiple containers:

- run:
            mkdir /tmp/test-results
                            --format progress \
                            spec

Then the tests run correctly.

This guy had the same problem, but doesn’t care that his workaround doesn’t support multiple containers since he’s using the free version: http://blog.overstuffedgorilla.com/rails-5-x-and-postgresql-on-circleci-2-0/

same issue…

I can confirm this is not just for Rails projects. I have a Ruby gem that also has the same problem. In the OP, I think the content is duplicated. But when I run this:

- run:
        mkdir /tmp/test-results

--format progress \
                        "${TEST_FILES}"

I get the failed to load rspec error. Removing the ${TEST_FILES} portion fixes it.

(duplicating my support ticket response with you for others who see this)

Hi Daniel,

I think the issue might be how the rspec command separates flags and files. Can you add a -- separator like so:

--format progress \
                -- \
                "${TEST_FILES}"

If this works, can you also share the link to where this was? We’ll need to fix this.

So this issue is with the bash variable expansion. You’ll want to update the command to this:

--format progress \
                -- \
                $TEST_FILES

This fixed it for me, as well. Can we look at getting the sample.yml updated provided to us when adding a new project?

Looks like this has been updated in the CircleCi docs, however, the invalid sample file is still being provided on a new app setup (https://circleci.com/setup-project/gh/org/reponame) :frowning:.

Confirmed that the example Eric posted worked for me too. Thanks guys for the solution. @Eric, when is Circle going to stop giving out the wrong config to users setting up new projects?

This topic was automatically closed 41 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.