Pre/Post deployment commands for CodeDeploy?

circle.yml

Hey all!

I’d love to be able to run a command before/after a CodeDeploy deployment (database migrations and the like) so that they’re only run once. Is this possible at all?

Hey Nathaniel, we chatted a bit about this at CircleCI Office Hours. I’ll make sure to bring it to the attention of the engineer that did the CodeDeploy feature.

@anon52070816 dude, you’re awesome! thanks again for talking with me then!

Sorry I was silent on this for a while. I’m afraid the best workaround I can offer at the moment is that the test:post phase is fairly close to being deployment:pre, but it’s not exactly what you’re looking for. It is definitely in our medium/long-term roadmap to make the baked-in deployment options like CodeDeploy more extensible.

That is a-okay man! Glad to hear it and thanks for listening!

Another vote for this functionality. We use CodeDeploy to deploy Clojure apps, and we’d love to be able to only build the uberjar when we are doing a deploy, rather than after every test run. (Your CodeDeploy docs suggest that CodeDeploy’s lifecycle hooks can be used instead of pre: and post:, but we’d prefer to build the uberjar on the Circle VM, not the destination box.)

To have pre and post hooks for the deployment section would be ideal, or allow multiple deployment destinations. For example as part of a deployment, an app I manage pushes images to a docker repository and the managing code through CodeDeploy. Perhaps the suggestion would be to split these builds / repos up, but that isn’t always ideal. Is a good workaround to have these ‘pre’ deployment tasks run as additional commands during the test ‘override’ stage?

I need this feature as well in order to process static assets before the deployment is initiated.

Totally agree. I’m using CodeDeploy with a Rails app and would really like to have a clean solution for running my migrations from a single place once the new code is in place.

Any update on this? This is a must have for us.

+1 for this!! I’m using codedeploy. But, I’d like to create the builds before calling codedeploy, buy AFTER successful tests.

Hello, any news on this?

I would like to send a slack notification that a deployment will start and I also can’t, and that is really frustrating

Hello all,

Thank you for your interest in this feature.

I wil move this "feature requests"category and make sure our product team knows about it.

We are working around this by running a deployment script. In that script we are checking for an environment variable PRE_COMMAND and POST_COMMAND. If it exists we run the command set in those variables.

Example code:

if [ "${CIRCLE_BRANCH}" = 'master' ] && [ -n "${MASTER_PRE_COMMAND}" ]; then
    echo "Running pre deployment command (${CIRCLE_BRANCH})"
    ssh username@${HOST} "${MASTER_PRE_COMMAND}"
fi