Please treat Docker as a first class citizen

docker

There’s a lot of us that are moving full speed ahead to Docker. We love CircleCI, but its Docker feature support and performance have been solely lacking. These two features requests may not be easy, but they would alleviate any need to consider alternate build platforms.

1. Under the services block of circle.yml, please support both docker_stable and docker_latest instead of just “docker”. As it is, if I want to use the latest build of docker I have to search the discussions for a few minutes and look for the latest S3 URL to pre-install docker on the machine. This is inefficient and a waste of time. I would love to be able to use the latest version of docker because I want to enable simultaneous layer uploads. My builds currently take 23 minutes, and 6 minutes of those are spent uploading the docker image to AWS ECR. Simultaneous layer uploading could decrease this time.

2. Please have MUCH BETTER support for docker layer caching. Feel free to charge us if it requires dedicated hosts. It takes a solid 10 minutes longer to perform builds after I dockerized our environment. I suspect much of this time could be decreased by better layer caching.

Sincerely,
A customer who is very frustrated with CircleCI’s support of Docker,
Elijah Chancey

A post was merged into an existing topic: Support Docker versions newer than v1.9.1