This is a dual request for two features:
- The ability to pass parameters into a workflow via the web interface
- The ability to manually start a workflow via the web interface
About Parameterized Builds
When I want to upload a build of the mobile app to the App Store, TestFlight, Play Store etc. I need to set some parameters, for example:
- Which API to build against (e.g. prod, staging)
- App Store “what’s new” text
- Notes for App Store reviewer
- Other build-time flags
Additionally, I don’t want to do this for most commits. I only want to do this every 2-3 weeks or so.
Currently in CircleCI 2.0 there is no way through the web interface to pass parameters. I know there is an undocumented way to do this via the API, but that’s not sufficient for our needs. I would like to configure parameters which get stored in environment variables.
Here is a screenshot of the equivalent feature on Jenkins:
About Manual Triggers
Additionally, I should be able to run these builds manually via the web interface instead of using a git trigger. I know I can make a
type: approval job, but this isn’t optimal because:
- most commits would never get approved
- these commits show as incomplete instead of passing in GitHub
The ability to create parameterized, manually triggered workflows via the web interface would be very helpful
There is definitely demand for this feature.
- There are a variety of closed discussions on these topics, and similar requests dating back several years.
- Other tools like Jenkins, TeamCity, Snap, etc. support this feature with a high level of usage.
There are currently some workarounds but the lack of first-class support for these two features is my #1 pain point with CircleCI.