New OpenJDK Convenience Image Public Beta

Hey Everyone,

For those who don’t know, we at CircleCI maintain a fleet of Docker images, which we call Convenience Images, for various languages and databases. These images are designed to run your CI environment.

The Docker build system we are using is old and complicated so we’ve been designing a new suite of images. This of course includes a new OpenJDK (Java) image.

If you’re already using CircleCI to build/test/deploy your Java project (or want to), I would love it if you could try out our new image. The image is cimg/openjdk with the tag being an OpenJDK version such as 11.0 or 10.0.2.

It’s all open source so you can find the GitHub repo here and the Docker Hub repo here.

We’re looking to:

1. Provide an OpenJDK Docker image useful for CI.
  2. Get feedback on if this image is working for your project or if it’s missing something or doing something “wrong” in your opinion.
  3. Get feedback on how this image is working for you if you’re coming from our legacy image, circleci/openjdk.

Other Public Beta Images

You can view all of the Next-Gen images that have reached public beta here.

Any questions, please let me know, thanks!

A Node.js variant for this image has been enabled:

- image: cimg/openjdk:<version>-node

The Java/Maven parts worked just fine for us on cimg/openjdk:11.0.

What failed was sudo apt-get -y -q install awscli. I suspect this is expected in the new setup (any recommended workarounds?).

What was the error mesage? Did you run sudo apt-get update first?

This next-gen Convenience Image is now considered stable! :tada:

Reminder:

docker:
  - image: cimg/openjdk:14.0.0