Job name not taken into consideration for builds (Workflows)

workflow

#1

Currently, there’s a few basically minor issues, but makes it a bit of a pain in the daily use.

  1. Job name missing from the Builds overview

Should be shown next to the Workflow name, hence within the “workflow-info” div.

(Also mentioned in Show job name)

  1. Job name missing from the specific Build view

Shown be shown next to the Workflow name, hence within the “summary-item” div, instead of needing to switch to the Build Parameters (which seems to be the only place referencing this).

  1. The state change not working properly

If running a build that technically fixes a previously failed build, it would match the branch name only rather than the branch name + job combination.

This makes the state change not displaying the expected.

Example:
jobs:
- job1
- job2
- job3

If job3 has failed last time (and job1 + job2 succeeded), the job1 will on the next run be shown as fixed - even though it’s basically not related to that one.

Also when searching through discuss, it appears to also be missing in regards to webhooks (Workflow Webhooks job names are missing) - so seems like the job name has not been fully implemented yet.


#2

Yeah, I noticed this too, it’s a little unusual, especially when reading through a mix of v1 and v2 projects in the Dashboard!


#3

Thank you so much for your feedback.

  1. Job name missing from the Builds overview
    We have added both Workflow name and Job name on the build list.
  1. Job name missing from the specific Build view
    We have updated the breadcrumb to add display the job name while viewing the build.
  1. The state change not working properly
    We are still looking this issue. We will update you once we roll out a fix. Thank you so much for your patience.

#4

Hi KunalJain.

1+2) Was nice to see the job name show up, after the last update :smile:

  1. OK, hope you have got a bit closer.

  2. Historical based timing not working
    When having a job depending on split by timing, this isn’t taken into consideration.

As to my testings, this seems to occur in the same way as with the state - it simply doesn’t load the related previous test result for the related job.

Two cases:

  1. Workflows enabled with a 1 job, using “circleci tests split --split-by=timings” and “store_test_results”
  2. Workflows enabled with a 2 jobs, with the 2nd job using “circleci tests split --split-by=timings” and “store_test_results”

Running case 1 works as expected, showing up “Downloading previous test results” in “Spin up Environment” upon rerun.

Running case 2 won’t work, as upon a retun (of a Workflow), the “Downloading previous test results” will show up in the 1st job - and will not appear on the 2nd. Most likely as the 1st doesn’t have any results stored (and shouldn’t necessary). Instead it will show “Requested historical based timing, but they are not present. Falling back to name based sorting” for each command including “circleci test split” (and adding “–timings-type=classname” doesn’t change this, as someone suggested in another thread).

Is most likely the same issue related to both 3 + 4, so when solved one, both will be solved.

Hope you guys can use the additional findings in the process of solving the issues.


#5