Is Google Cloud (gcloud) supported by CircleCI 2.0?

container-image

Currently I am using CD with Google Container Engine based on your instructions for 1.0:
https://circleci.com/docs/1.0/continuous-deployment-with-google-container-engine/
It works great!

You mention on the page "We’re looking to simplify the use of gcloud and kubectl in the future."
Is this planned for 2.0?
Can I move gcloud instructions from dependencies/pre to steps tree of the new config?
Which executor should I choose to have /opt/google-cloud-sdk/bin/gcloud available?

This was hinting that maybe these tools would be pre-installed and upgraded in the CircleCI 1.0 image. I don’t think going forward that’s likely to happen with the focus on CircleCI 2.0 at the moment.

CircleCI 2.0 is built differently than 1.0. None of executors will have that tool pre-installed. Using the Docker executor, you can find a Docker image, or create your own, that will have gcloud installed.

One process would be, find a base image in the Docker library for the language your project is built in, make a new Docker image based off of that one, and install any additional tools, including gcloud, that you need. Then, use that image for your builds on CircleCI 2.0.