Install of boto now broken in 2.0 machine build

python

One of our builds the runs on CircleCI 2.0 machine started failing recently because of import errors in one of our scripts. We install boto as a requirement before running the script, but the following traceback occurs. We are using it to talk to S3, so GCP libraries should not be needed

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "my-script.py", line 50, in <module>
    import boto
  File "/opt/circleci/.pyenv/versions/2.7.12/lib/python2.7/site-packages/boto/__init__.py", line 1216, in <module>
    boto.plugin.load_plugins(config)
  File "/opt/circleci/.pyenv/versions/2.7.12/lib/python2.7/site-packages/boto/plugin.py", line 93, in load_plugins
    _import_module(file)
  File "/opt/circleci/.pyenv/versions/2.7.12/lib/python2.7/site-packages/boto/plugin.py", line 75, in _import_module
    return imp.load_module(name, file, filename, data)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/google_compute_engine/boto/boto_config.py", line 29, in <module>
    from google_compute_engine import config_manager
ImportError: No module named google_compute_engine

From the following issue it appears that this is due to the /etc/boto.cfg file, which I looked at and does have the following section:

[Plugin]
plugin_directory = /usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/google_compute_engine/boto

https://github.com/GoogleCloudPlatform/compute-image-packages/issues/262

SSHing into the build and running pip install google-compute-engine does fix the issue, but I’m confused as to why our builds broke at this point. I don’t think we made any changes on our end that would have effected this.

This topic was automatically closed 41 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.