Deploy on Tag / Branch combination

circle.yml

Hi,

basically I have 3 git branches (dev, test, master) that I’m using.
What I want to achieve is to trigger the deployment process depending on tags that are being pushed to specific branches.

Example:

When somebody pushes the tag “bla_1.0-deploy-to-dev” to the dev branch, then this branch will get checked out / built / deployed to my dev system.

When somebody pushes the tag “bla_1.0-deploy-to-test” to the test branch, then this branch will get checked out / built / deployed to my test system.

When somebody pushes the tag “bla_1.0-deploy-to-prod” to the master branch, then this branch will get checked out / built / deployed to my prod system.

It is important to prevent a deployment triggered by committing the “bla_1.0-deploy-to-prod” tag to the dev or test branch for example.
So my question is: Is it possible to define that only tag / branch combinations trigger specified deployment jobs.

For now I have this config:

version: 2

jobs:
  "deploy":
    machine: true
    working_directory: ~/repo    
    steps:
      - checkout
      - run:
          name: Deploy Git training project
          command: |
            echo "Deploying..."
workflows:
  build-and-deploy:
    jobs:
      - deploy:
          filters:
            tags:
              only: /.*deploy-to-development$/
            branches:
              ignore: /.*/

Like this I was able to trigger the job on committing a specific tag only (and not by committing to a branch only).
Any ideas?

Thanks a lot

I also want to achieve workflow with Tag/Branch combo but couldn’t find the way

This topic was automatically closed 41 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Reopening this, I’m curious—

Has anyone achieved this functionality via something like this (semi-pseudocoded)?

jobs:
  branch_tag_check:
    steps:

- run:
    name: check if branch AND tag conditions are met
    command: |
      if [[ ! ($CIRCLE_BRANCH == "only-this-branch" && \
        $CIRCLE_TAG == "only-this-tag") ]]
      then
        exit 1
      else
        echo "rest of jobs can proceed"
      fi

And then—

workflows:
  branch&&tag_filter:
    jobs:
      - branch_tag_check
      - rest_of_jobs:
          requires:
            - branch_tag_check

Would result in a “failed” job in the UI when actually your control flow is just working as-expected, but functionally I think this would work, no?

EDIT: actually, I think there may be a misunderstanding about how exactly git tags work. Which was just cleared up for me, as well! E.g.—

There’s no such thing as a tagged commit to master. Tags don’t have a branch.

@FelicianoTech’s comments here seem like a better approach: