Command line support for workflows

It would be super helpful to have some sort of method to run local builds that have workflows in them. The trial and error through mainline branches (to make sure things like filters work) disrupts the rest of the team and has slowed down our move to workflows to a crawl.

Alternatively, a feature that allowed us to setup parallel build jobs for the same repo by specifying a different config file would also address this. Something like a place in the UI of the build config where we can override the config file being used and then a 2nd feature that would allow me to setup two jobs for one repo.

Workflow: ignoring workflow both locally and remotely
Workspaces and local circleci script

At least in the meantime, it would be useful if the CLI error message was clearer that it is not supported.

I spent some times writing a repro case because I thought there was a bug, but it turned out it wasn’t supported after some better Googling.

With my example yaml:

version: 2
jobs:
  hello:
    docker:
      - image: circleci/openjdk:8-jdk
    steps:
      - run:
          command: echo "hello"
  java_8_build:
    docker:
      - image: circleci/openjdk:8-jdk
    steps:
      - run:
          command: echo "java 8 build*
  java_9_build:
    docker:
      - image: circleci/openjdk:9-jdk
    steps:
      - run:
          command: echo "java 8 build"

workflows:
  version: 2
  build:
    jobs:
      - hello
      - java_8_build:
          requires:
            - hello
      - java_9_build:
          requires:
            - hello

The output is:

Build-agent version 0.0.4238-0186f72 (2017-09-22T07:15:33+0000)
Error: Configuration errors: 1 error occurred:

* Cannot find a job named `build` to run in the `jobs:` section of your configuration file.
If you expected a workflow to run, check your config contains a top-level key called 'workflows:'
Step failed
Task failed
Error: 1 error occurred:

* Cannot find a job named `build` to run in the `jobs:` section of your configuration file.
If you expected a workflow to run, check your config contains a top-level key called 'workflows:'

Which is rather confusing when a workflows key is included. It would be helpful if it just bombed out early with workflows are not supported or something of that nature.

Is there any chance that workflows will be supported?

Agree 100%

It would be useful if they were supported, obviously

But at least return a proper error for cli users, it is very confusing to have an error that says

If you expected a workflow to run, check your config contains a top-level key called ‘workflows:’

if workflows aren’t supported!

Any update on this??
You are making this huge push to move to 2.0… which basically means workflows
(Can you NOT use workflows in 2.0?? Not sure what the point would be?)

But, without this local support… it’s still a painful “update/commit/wait” process… local support would be so helpful. Please let us know when we might be able to expect this… or IF we can expect it.

Is there any update on this yet? It’s incredibly painful without Workflow support locally.

Adding to the choir. Very frustrating to not be able to check build status locally…

It’s taken me a little while to grasp some of the concepts in CircleCi. If I’m expected to push others in my company to adopt then local verification will be vital.

It’s really frustrating not being able to do this. I don’t even have a ‘build’ in any of my workflows because I cache npm/.git in a separate job, rendering the actual build job useless locally.

It would be great to hear anything from the CC team…

Same boat here, really liking the new 2.0 features, but I really need to validate this stuff locally. Having to push through the actual system requires either disrupting the entire team as another commenter mentioned, or quite a bit of overhead to create an entirely mocked environment.

Is there an ETA on when workflows/2.0 will be fully supported in the CLI util?

Thanks.

I would like to see this feature in command line tool of Circle CI too.