CircleCI should allow editing environment variable values in project settings

I can see CircleCI allows to add environment variables through project settings which is great but it doesn’t give facility to modify its value later. It forces the user to delete the previous environment variable and re-add variable with new value, is this fine?

I would guess that the reason why environment variables are not editable is that they often contain secrets (it is my only use for them on CircleCI, for the time being). Thus, I think it is excellent that they are not editable, since in the unlikely event someone gets into my account, they will at least have a harder time of extracting my most valuable confidential data.

I suspect you meant something different here. I am assuming you believe that being forced to re-enter the variable is not OK, since you think it is inconvenient. Is that worth an edit to the top post?

Thanks halfer, does it look good now?

No, my feedback is the same. You’re contradicting yourself. How about this?

It forces the user to delete the previous environment variable and re-add variable with new value, which is inconvenient.

This will be my last reply. Your question can be answered with “yes, it’s fine”, but you have not stated your own opinion. Ideally you’d explain why you want the change requested in the title.

It looks like you took my advice in a previous edit, and then inexplicably changed it again.

Thanks Halfer, sorry for the confusions. I agree CircleCI environment variables edit is not needed and user can replace with new value or delete it.

This topic was automatically closed 41 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.