`circleci build` on macos is unusably slow

Spent a while searching on discuss and couldn’t find anyone else mentioning whether the circleci tool should work or not on macos. It’s hard to separate discussion of the macos build environment on circle with building circle on macos.

My problem: circleci build hangs for ages on ====>> Checkout code. Ages and ages. Every copy step is this way. It never completes.

While it’s known that Docker on Mac has file system issues, it’s nowhere near as slow as I’m seeing in every other native docker build I do; it’s like 10x slower.

Known? Not known?

Circleci build tool should respect .dockerignore file

I see this also. I think it is related to needing to mount the local repo into the container, but so far I’ve not been able to make this work…

I’m also seeing this same problem using Docker for Mac 17.09.0-ce-rc1-mac28. The Checkout Code step takes like 10 minutes (very little downloading going on though for most of that)

Can everyone experiencing this issue provide their OS X/macOS version number and their Docker version number? Thank you.

MacOS 10.12.6 and Docker for Mac 17.09.0-ce-rc1-mac28

This is affecting us as well. My version numbers: 10.12.6 (16G29) and 17.06.2-ce-mac27 (19124)

I’ll note one further detail, which is that while the copy operation is happening CPU usage of hyperkit goes through the roof – it fully pegs 1 core and most of another one too (I have docker using 4 cpu cores in the daemon settings). It seems like the copy operation must be doing something really inefficient? I don’t know how this works, but I’m surprised it would be using so much CPU (as opposed to, I don’t know, disk or memory bandwidth – stuff usually involved in copies).

This topic was automatically closed 41 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.