Cache gcloud updates

I’d like to keep gcloud updated by caching the latest version after I run gcloud components update -q. What’s the best strategy for saving and restoring this cache key ?

You might need something creative like dumping the directory structure into a file and getting the checksum of it.

There is a VERSION file I can checksum, but the problem is restoring the cache. For example, version 148 is what’s on my image. If I run gcloud components update, it updates to version 149, I can save the cache with the new version, but I wont’ know the version to restore on the next run.

Just include the branch name in the key and drop the checksum on the cache restore so it restores the latest one.

Maybe I’m missing something - won’t that skip the save_cache step, because the cache already exists ? Here is a snippet of what I have.

# update gcloud
  - restore_cache:
      key: gcloud-latest-{{ .Branch }}
  - run:
      name: Update gcloud SDK
      command: $GOOGLE_DIR/google-cloud-sdk/bin/gcloud components update -q
  - save_cache:
      paths:
        - "$GOOGLE_DIR/google-cloud-sdk"

Only drop the checksum for restore_cache. Keep save_cache unique enough that it’ll generate a new cache for version changes.

The key for restore_cache matches as a prefix, not an exact string. Given multiple matches, it selects the more recent one.

So for your desired behavior:

# update gcloud
  - restore_cache:
  - run:
      name: Update gcloud SDK
      command: $GOOGLE_DIR/google-cloud-sdk/bin/gcloud components update -q
  - save_cache:
      key: gcloud-latest-{{ .Branch }}-{{ checksum "VERSION_FILE" }}
      paths:

So I made this change, but I’m not seeing the expected prefix behavior for restore_cache. Must I Include {{ .Branch }} ? I actually don’t want the cache to be branch specific…

No. That’s totally up to you.

My 2.0 experience

There may be an existing exact match? Perhaps it’s preferring that older exact match, even though there exists newer prefix matches?

The save and restore steps show the key being used.

So, it does seem to be restoring the exactly named key over a prefix-matched one. Is there any way I can delete this key?

• restoring myproject-gcloud-latest
  • saving myproject-gcloud-latest-{{ checksum "VERSION" }}

No but you can change the name of the key

OK I think I’ve solved the key issue, now my issue is the path. It doesn’t seem to like environment variables in save_cache paths… is there a workaround for that?

Just specify the directory as a string.

I already am specifying it as a string. If you look at the config I posted:

- save_cache:
  key: gcloud-latest
  paths:

where $GOOGLE_DIR=/google
However it doesn’t seem like restore_cache is restoring the correct path:

Cached paths:
  * /myworkdir/$GOOGLE_DIR/google-cloud-sdk

No, I mean the env vars aren’t yet supported there, so you need to use a string. Support for env vars there should arrive somewhat soon as far as I understand.